- Pharmacy & Pet Store
- Refill medications and shop for pet supplies. Shop our online pet store today!!
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
As pets age, they become more vulnerable to illnesses and chronic conditions. Taking your older pet to the veterinarian and helping your pet stay comfortable at home can improve your pet's quality of life. As your pet's medical care provider in Coronado CA, we can give you advice and help you care for your pet.
Older pets can develop a variety of problems that can necessitate changes at home. For example, older pets who develop joint pain may have trouble walking up and down steps, and may even find sleeping to be difficult. Installing ramps and replacing your pet's bed may help. Your pet's vet can help you make the right changes around the house to ensure that your pet is safe and comfortable.
Your senior pet will also need a special diet. To ensure that your pet gets the right mixture of proteins, vitamins, and minerals, feed your pet food formulated for older animals.
The best way to help your senior pet stay healthy is to get him or her preventative care from the veterinarian. Younger pets typically see the veterinarian once a year, but senior pets should see the veterinarian twice a year. At Coronado Veterinary Hospital in Coronado CA, we offer the following preventative services to senior pets:
• Wellness exams. Wellness exams help your pet's veterinarian catch chronic conditions in their early stages. During your pet's wellness exam, we'll check your pet's skin, eyes, ears, mouth, coat, blood, heartbeat, heart rate and more. If we find evidence that your pet is suffering from a condition, we'll make recommendations for diagnosis and treatment.
• Pet dental care. Older pets especially need to have their teeth regularly cleaned in order to avoid infection and periodontal disease. We offer safe, gentle dental care for older pets, to help them maintain good oral hygiene and avoid dental discomfort.
• Vaccinations. Vaccinations can help your older pet avoid serious diseases and fatal illnesses. We'll help you by recommending the right vaccinations for your pet, and by tracking your pet's vaccination schedule.
Start watching for symptoms of common ailments that affect senior pets. Many of these symptoms are indicative of a very serious condition and should be addressed right away.
• Lumps under the skin
• Unexplained weight loss
• Cuts that take a very long time to heal or that won't heal at all
• Increased thirst
• Vomiting and diarrhea
• Tenderness in the joints
• Pain in the mouth
If your senior pet develops any of the above symptoms, contact your pet's veterinarian for a senior pet wellness exam. At Coronado Veterinary Hospital, we help senior dogs and other senior pets stay healthy. Call us today at (619) 435-6281 to make an appointment!
|Monday||8:00 am||7:00 pm|
|Wednesday||8:00 am||7:00 pm|
|Thursday||8:00 am||6:00 pm|
|Friday||8:00 am||5:00 pm|
|Saturday||8:00 am||2:00 pm|
|8:00 am||8:00 am||8:00 am||8:00 am||8:00 am||8:00 am||Closed|
|7:00 pm||7:00pm||7:00 pm||6:00 pm||5:00 pm||2:00 pm||Closed|
"I was nervous about Bon Jovi receiving anesthesia. You kept me informed throughout the process and took great care of him. Thank you. His teeth look fabulous."
- Julie Moss, Coronado Resident
"This was my first time having a puppy and looking for a vet and I truly believe I found the perfect place! Everyone was so friendly and so kind to myself and my puppy! I got a lot of information and all of my questions were answered!"
- New Puppy Mom and Coronado Resident
"You squeezed us in on short notice and I GREATLY appreciate it! you made our vacation a little less stressful, and Bernie is getting much better! Thank you thank you thank you!!"
- Kelly Mulvany, Coronado Vacationer